Five years of research and development, in collaboration with universities and design offices, were necessary for the realisation of this scientific methodology, adapted to the specificities of the Belgian construction sector.
TOTEM’s core values are objectivity and transparency, to enable the players in the Belgian construction sector including architects, design offices, contractors, owners, promoters, public authorities, etc., to identify and limit the potential environmental impacts of buildings during the early stages of the design process.
As of March 17, 2023, an update has been released, reflecting our ongoing commitment to enhancing and refining TOTEM.
The most important updates are:
- Redesign of the interface
- Integration of the technical installations
- Adaptation of energy calculations during the use phase (2 methods)
- Expansion of the library of example buildings
- Addition of a number of predefined elements specific to renovation
- Addition of some biobased components and visualization through a “leaf” logo
- New naming of the predefined elements in the library
- A number of corrections have been made in the elements and components library