Research Expert – Decision Support for Grid Operators
The ELECTA research group of the Department of Electrical Engineering (ESAT), within the Group Science and Technology at KU Leuven is looking for an experienced researcher for decision support for grid operation. The experienced researcher will implement and further develop the research roadmap on decision support for grid operation. He/she will therefore actively coordinate and supervise research in this domain. Decision support for grid operators aims to develop new decision making tools for system operators in the domains of power system planning, operation, security and reliability. These tools are essential to integrate the ever increasing amount of renewable energy into the electrical energy system while maintaining a high security of supply at acceptable costs. The developed tools can range from conceptual proof of concept tools to large scale implementation in demonstration projects. These research activities frame within the “EnergyVille” initiative.
- Developing and monitoring the EnergyVille research roadmap on decision support for grid operation
- Maintaining a knowledge-base of tools and methods used within the research domain
- Management of research projects and/or workpackages (timely delivery, quality control, budget management, communication with partners, …)
- Defining new research project proposals (project content, project structure, proposal writing, budget planning, …) addressing funding opportunities with industry and public funding agencies
- Representing Electa / EnergyVille towards potential partners (grid operators, equipment manufacturers, …)
- Actively guiding (co-promotorship) of PhD researchers
- Publications (and patenting)
The ideal candidate has:
- a PhD degree in electrical engineering or computer sciences with experience after the PhD.
- Skills to define research content of project proposals (H2020, National funding agencies, bi-lateral with industry, …) in the field of decision support for grid operators.
- Track record of successful delivery of results in research projects.
- Expert knowledge of power system modelling techniques (especially power flow modelling techniques).
- Expert knowledge of convex & non – convex and stochastic optimization.
- Knowledge of modelling languages for optimization (Julia, Python, Matlab, GAMS, …).
- Knowledge of open source and commercial optimization solvers.
- Experience in power system planning, operation & control, power markets and regulatory affairs.
- Excellent networking and presentation skills.
- Software development skills.
- A strong publication record.
- We offer a long term contract under the research management framework at KU Leuven (barema depends on experience).
- You'll work in a challenging international environment at one of the top universities in the world, ranked as the most innovative universityin Europe according to Reuters. You will work with a dedicated team of 5-10 young researchers.
- You will be able to put your own emphasis on the research conducted in the group and together with the academic staff set out the main roadmap for the next years.
- An enjoyable working environment in a multi-disciplinary and dynamic research environment in the new EnergyVille facilities in Genk, Belgium
For more information please contact Prof. dr. ir. Dirk Van Hertem: mail: email@example.com.
You can apply for this job no later than May 20, 2018 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.